What is the BEST exfoliation for your skin type? If you watched our previous video, we talked about the importance of exfoliating your skin and the MANY benefits. But did you know there are actually 3 different types of exfoliants? Here are the 3 exfoliants AND the skin types for which they are best suited!
1. PHYSICAL EXFOLIANT
- Uses beads or crushed seeds
- Exfoliates manually using your hands in a rubbing motion
- Scrubs off dead skin cells
- Recommended for: younger skin (ages 30 or younger), sensitive skin, people with capillary activity like Rosacea or Telangiectasia (BEADS ONLY)
2. CHEMICAL EXFOLIANT
- Uses fruit enzymes or fruit acids
- Exfoliates automatically (no rubbing needed)
- Dissolves protein of dead skin cells
- Recommended for: dry skin, dull skin, aging skin, hyperpigmentation, breakout-prone skin, Acne
3. COMBINATION – PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL EXFOLIANT
- Uses beads or crushed seeds in a fruit enzyme or fruit acid solution (the PHYSICAL and CHEMICAL together)
- Exfoliates manually and automatically
- Fruit enzymes or acids soften and loosen dead skin cells while beads or seeds manually scrub dead skin cells off
- Christy’s personal recommendation for MOST CLIENTS (**people with sensitive skin should consult their skincare professional**)
Our personal recommendation for our clients (and what we use ourselves) is the combination exfoliant. (Make sure to consult your skincare professional first!) The reason we prefer this one is because you are using the rubbing motion with the beads or seeds to loosen up the dead skin cells and the fruit enzyme or acid is softening the inner cellular cement that holds them together. You’re getting ALL of that off resulting in a nice, clean, skin-tone glow.
So whether you use a physical, chemical, or combination of exfoliants, the end result is even-toned, hydrated, and GLOWING skin!